Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

28 April 2012

On Time

As a child, there was always a saying that stuck with me - I heard it first from my band conductors (in regards to dress rehearsal times):

"If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late; if you're late, don't bother coming."

Here, this doesn't exist. 

I have a 10 minute grace-period to sign into class with our nifty electronic attendance cards, so at 8:11 AM, I am tardy. The thing is though, teachers come in at 8:25 AM, 8:30 AM... for a class that starts at 8 AM, regardless of the fact that it may be just a 1.5 hour class or a 5 hour class. 

The STUDENTS do the same - some stroll in at 8:45 AM, 8:55 AM with not a hair out of place - even if they are considered tardy. I mean, attendance is pretty strict here; to be permitted to sit for the final exam (which means TAKE the final exam) you have to be counted as present for 75% of the classes. I see people skip class/ not come for one reason or another and some stroll in almost an hour into the class. I guess if that last case happens, it's only about 15-20 minutes into lecture, but still...

I used to get to class 15 minutes BEFORE the supposed start time, but now I sleep more and stroll in a hearty 20 minutes before class starts: 5 minutes before 8, and at least 15 minutes before the start of lecture.

When I think about this, it really seems outrageous to be considered in class for 5 hours (as I am on Friday's) but start 30 minutes after 8, then have two breaks, each about 30 minutes, and then get out about a half hour early. It's like half the class is gone by socializing. 

In some ways, coming back to the States and taking a class that is 50 minutes or even the dreaded Tuesday-Thursday "long, 75 minute class" is going to seem a breeze because of these 3 and 5 hour classes. I'll defend myself by saying that we do lecture for over an hour at a time, then we break, then come back and do it again; I AM TAKING CLASSES, I promise. 

It just doesn't seem like it sometimes. But 23 hours a week at the university is a lot. -_-

Congratulations, most of you, on another semester complete. How about you bust out these finals and I'll start warming myself up for midterms in this chilling weather? Great! Great? Great... .

Angela


2 comments:

  1. Angela-
    It is really interesting that you say this. In my global leadership class, a lot of students that have studied abroad in a multi-active culture said the exact same way. Being from a linear active culture, we are always on a strict time schedule and do one thing at a time. However, Lewis states that multi actives believe that a human exchange is more vital and that if they are late, so be it. How do you adjust to that? I don't know if I could do it because it would be extremely difficult. I like to get out when I am supposed to get out. Does this concept of time drive you nuts and where else do you see it? Hope you are having an awesome time and we all miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,
      I've actually thought about this in reflecting on my lackadaisical days not doing much of any kind of homework. I adjusted simply because I am immersed in it. I always feel like there should be something I'm doing, but most of the time, there isn't. It's the lack of assignments that gives me freedom with my days, and then when the teacher isn't there I brainstorm what I want to do for the day or what errands I need to run. What's going to be harder than slacking off is getting BACK into the cycle of working hard all the time. Getting out after class should be over irks me, of course, because I too like to get out on time, especially if the teacher was late! It's like, "get here on time so we have enough time to cover everything you wanted to say so I can leave when class should be done!" But, that's just the way it is, and because that is the case, all we can do is understand and accept it.

      I sort of see it in restaurants when you have to wait 40 minutes for food or to be served, or when you're waiting for a bus that never comes. The post office (to send letters) is a huge problem because you have to devote an hour to waiting in line so you can send them..

      Other than that I don't notice much of it; the city kind of gets you into that lax mindset.

      Miss you all too, hope all is well, and see you sooner than I can even imagine.

      Angela

      Delete