Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

15 April 2012

Leading in Tango

This just popped into my head: machismo in dance. (Machismo is the male-domination of something)

As you know if you've read previous entries (#notmadbutmad if you haven't), I am taking Tango classes. An interesting and helpful aspect of the dance is that the male partner leads everything. It is a freestyle dance that has 8 core steps on which you can do any number of combinations for as long as you want at any tempo (obviously with the time signature of the song), but the male leads everything.

The conclusion is that tango is easier for women because we don't have to think of which step we want to do next.




Okay, that's not all I wanted to say, while it is true... .

The critical aspect of the dance is the marking the man gives the woman; he has his hand on her spinal column as the proper stance requires and then applies pressure in the direction he wants the woman to go. I guess it is hard for us (especially with beginner men) because we have to read their markings and know what variation and movement comes with that specific marking. Men must be confident and directing in their marking and women must be attentive and flexible to accommodate what may be required of her.

The other day, we learned the "sandwich" step, where the guy comes over... *just watch the video until 1:05 if you want to know really what I'm talking about* . In that step, there is a variation where the girl actually does the move for as many times as she wants and the guy must wait and then pick up control when the girl passes through (like you see in the clip).

Conclusion: there seems to be a time and a place for each person to lead and to follow. Sometimes the general status is that you have to listen (read markings in this case) to be successful in the project (graceful dance in this case). If there is that lack of communication (which has to be silent in this case) the exchange will not be successful. Behind the scenes there is much verbal communication, but on the stage everything has to be mutual: respect, movement, and attention.

On a side note: I have a "performance" at International Night on Friday, so I will be led to the stage by my partner and led off, but without me he couldn't dance. (Here's what we're dancing to, with the dramatic entrance and everything.)


It will be a good time, I'll try to have it recorded so I can share it with you and when I come back to campus we can share a couple laughs about it over some mate. 

Angela

4 comments:

  1. It is definitely interesting to think about the leadership roles within the partener dance context. I think is is intersting that the tango seems to be so masculine focused when I believe Spain is more of a feminine culture. Of course correct me if I am wrong. I guess you could look at it as the female is in charge since they must know what the signals mean and can easily not do what is asked.
    I have always loved dance and thinking about who is the leader in that partnership and how that relationship is able to be so successful between the two parties.
    I hope you are having a great trip!
    Can't wait to see you and hear all the amazing stories I haven't been able to follow!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be that Spain has more of a feminine culture, but Tango originated here in Buenos Aires in the late 19th century (c1880) as somewhat of the seduction dance in the brothels; men lead the women. Tango was then brought to Europe via Spain and France in the early 20th, which is why they have a taste too. It might be something interesting to compare- how culture impacts dance. I've hit the hard part of the semester - where you don't want to do any work, but life is overall good.

      Thanks for following :)

      AND I hope your second trip to Annapolis was divine. Repeat next year?
      -Angela

      Delete
  2. Ang,
    SO I just saw you had a performance for your tango class as I was reading the last few blog entries. It may be funny but I can so see you doing this as I listen to the music in the video I imagined you dancing your little heart out. I hope it went well and please tell me how it went! I am dying to know! On a more leadership serious note, I loved your analogy about leading and following. We are usually so fast at doing things and making decisions, but one thing people tend to forget is leadership can also be responsive. Leadership like you said requires good communication and like if you're dancing it could mean the difference of slipping or gliding. When I see you coming back here, I see you taking what you learned in your tango class to what you become as a leader and also in life. I just wondered if maybe you have seen yourself change to more of a multi-active culture person (relationship, relax based) over our more high anxiety linear society? Which are you liking better?
    Always love,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JJ,

      The dancing was pretty horrendous. My partner and I are pretty good, but there were SO many of us trying to dance in such a restricted amount of space that we didn't actually dance, we just tried to avoid the people around us.

      I think I'll be a bit more multi-active for sure because I understand the importance of collaboration ESPECIALLY DEPENDENCE on others to help me through things I don't understand. Simple laboratory procedures become so challenging because of the language barrier and technical terminology, so I'm getting used to asking for help. The alleviated stress feels so good (from asking for help) that I think it will become an integral part of my leading.

      I don't usually like asking for help, but now I see how useful it is and am growing to like it more.

      Besos :)

      Angela

      Delete