Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

11 March 2012

A Patagonian Peace

I haven't really worked out since December. I'll be honest. I've run once in a while and done Ab Ripper X often, but other than that, I'm ashamed to say I have been pretty much sedentary. Of course, now I walk everywhere so I'm not just on my butt all day, but at the same time, I'm certainly not exerting myself. (That will change now that my class schedule has. For sure.) BUT. My point in say this, is that Gus, Nikki and I decided to go on a "68 km bike ride" the other day.

...

What we were thinking when we decided that, we concluded post-ride, was that we were not thinking at all.

We embarked on El Circuito Chico Bike Ride


around Lake Nahuel Huapi which said it was only 27 km. At the time, before we started down the first hill, we were disappointed that it wasn't what we thought it was going to be: the 68 km. (My butt would cede from my body if I were still disappointed, literally and figuratively). The ride was incredible at first. The closeness of the ragged mountaintops, the thickness of the forests, the clearness of the lakes... it was all breathtaking.








The views changed, perspectives of the mountains and lakes changed as we rolled up and down the roads the wound through the forests and slashed alongside the mountains. But slowly what became more breathtaking were the 45 degree uphill grades that went on for hundreds of meters!!! It was astounding! I had never felt so out of shape (okay maybe during the first Big Ben we did, s/o to my #MCWB ladies if you're reading). But seriously, this is not something for the faint of heart: literally and figuratively. Nevertheless, we rounded the curves and flew down the hills wildly, enjoying every second of the free fall: Fg , overcoming the Fthat allowed our  us to accelerate as we did. (Check me on that, I only just decided today when I was going to take Physics again...)

As the day drew on, we started to drag a bit on the up hills, especially after visiting La Colonia Suiza which added an extra 6 km to our ride (on a DIRT path filled with ROCKS and holes filled with more ROCKS). We started to become sore from the impact of the seat on the ischium and the last 7.5 miles with no lookout point/ point of interest was daunting. But, being cheap travelers, we opted to do the last leg and not leave our bikes at the checkpoint because we'd have to pay 15 pesos each. Sorry, I don't have that kind of money, bum. Just riding like #Lance.


All in all we snapped some amazing photos on the bike tour and it was well worth it, although I have to say that when our New York friend at the hostel invited us to come with him on a bike tour (the next day) I laughed at the idea, as I sat gingerly on the couch.

Walking around Bariloche was fantastic, we captured photos of the surf, especially on the first day when it was extremely windy, and photos of a placid lake. The omnipresence of the Andes became something of a daily sight, and I am happy I captured those things that are so usual, because even now, one day away from my time in Bariloche, I miss the mountains. 



I now listen to cars drive by; this fan in the ceiling whirring as fast as it can; horns honking, alarms going off and probably the buzz of electricity flowing to everything in this city. 

Bariloche is most definitely an oasis from the city, and most definitely a must.

Angela

1 comment: