Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

20 March 2012

Angy

I hate the nickname Angie. If I ever meet you in un país "angloparlante" (English-speaking country) DO NOT under ANY circumstance call me Angie. I am not an Angie. The only person that has ever called me that is my sister, as such she is the only one that has license to do so. And most of you, are not my sister.

But here is a whole other ball game: one I was not prepared for. At first, I thought I could give them another, more personal nickname because it is a Spanish name, Lela, but I'd rather keep that something more intimate. I like Ange, it's been a part of my life since day one of basketball probably, simply because monosyllabic names are much easier on the court. Despite that fact, I will always introduce myself as Angela. Unfortunately here I have found that people expect me to have a nickname. Ángela is a Spanish name but even so they ask for an apodo and suggest Angy? I negated it at first, but gave up after too many people did the same thing.

I shudder as I succumb to Angy, but in a Spanish-speaking country, it doesn't sound so bad. Ange is too hard of a syllable to end on for them, so Angy works best. Angy not Angie.


Angy

No comments:

Post a Comment