Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

16 March 2012

LOST

This was week one of class.

I have an 8 AM every day.

It is Friday night. I am tired.

But this is the city, and the city never sleeps, so neither will I :)

Just kidding, I do sleep. I nap quite a bit now actually, but I am tired. Really tired. Monday morning came, and I was rather tired, but whatever. It was the first day of class. I was scheduled for Oral and Written Expression at 8 until 930 and then Philosophy from 1120 to 1250 PM. Not too shabby, to have just two classes on Monday. It sounded good to me. So I got up, showered and pondered what to wear - as is always the case with first days, chose, ate breakfast, and left. It was lovely and sunny out, although the weather forecasted a storm. I had my umbrella. I got to class at 745 AM, nice and early, especially for being in Argentina. I walked in the building and looked around at the charts to find my class, but I couldn't find it. So I asked the concierge where my class was and she helpfully directed me. I went up and sat outside the dark and empty classroom, lost in the sea of students excited for the first day of class, saying hi to each other after the long summer etc etc.

Yeah, I felt like a loner.

8 AM came rolling around, and then the students started filing into their classes. But no one went into mine. So I didn't either. And still as the hallways emptied, no one went into my class. Still at 810 AM, I didn't either. 815 came and went, but no one else did. 820 came, and there were two girls and a professor left in the hall. When they left, so would I. The professor parted, and the girls got up at 830 AM. So did I. I asked them finally if they knew anything about the class that was supposed to be there. Fortunately they had a question about a class so they also needed to go to floor 6 and ask. We went up together and I had my question answered. First and second year classes don't start until tomorrow (Tuesday). I looked at the guy: "What?" He's responds, yeah, first and second years start on Tuesday, on day after. I retort, yeah but the schedule says Monday I have class. He says yes but you start tomorrow. I'm utterly confused at this point, "pardon me, does this mean my Monday classes are on Tuesday?" He looks at me and is probably thinking, wow this girl has no idea what's going on. But he simply says, yeah you go to the next one. I lost it. Finally I was like, "does this mean I have to come to this class tomorrow?" He expires, no no no, you just come on Thursday, like the schedule says.

Pardon my French, but when in the hell did that EVER make sense to ANYONE. Furthermore, why was I not NOTIFIED that this was the case. Are you serious?

In summary, I had no class on Monday.

I went up to the 12th floor then to get my "student portal" fixed: my online registration code. I needed to sign up for Tango online because it is a class for international students, but I couldn't log in. So I went up to get that all situated and did in no time. When I got back downstairs, the rain had come and the storm had started.

I busted out my Totes umbrella, and trekked up to Cabildo to see if I had mail. Getting soaked and buzzing into the ISA office, I was informed that they were technically closed until 10 AM on Mondays. Well WHAT THE HECK. They let me in, but still. I wouldn't have gone in the rain if I didn't have to. Anyways, what came of that was nothing: I had no mail. I left and hit the rain again, probably mixing feces from the sidewalk and leachate from garbage all on my feet in my pretty gladiator sandals. It was raining so hard there was probably 6 inches of water between the curb and the road just rushing down the street. The puddles were huge and unavoidable, so it was juice of juices and I don't even want to know anything more.

So on the way home, I broke a shoe, almost biffed it on my face in the middle of the street (I made some lady laugh though...) and got soaked through and through. At 10 AM, I took another shower, and napped.

I don't really care to wear see-through clothes...

Post-Rain, needless to say. I smiled because it's "First Day of School Picture" Day

So day one of classes was a success; I really liked my teachers and everything!!! .................
.....
.......
......
......

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment