Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

12 February 2012

Expectation vs. Reality

This will be an ever-changing entry serving as a compilation of expectations and myths versus the reality from my experiences. Sunday February 12th was the day of inspiration and theCHIVE made my title. Welcome to the brief snippets of Culture Shock in a city and in a Latin American country.

MESHING INTO STYLE
2/3/2012
Expectation: Never look Argentine - they have a bit of a wild style
Reality: Of the many pamphlets handed out on the streets, being handed one for a "descuento en cursos regulares de Ingles" (discount for regular English courses) was a bit of a boost. Maybe I do look Argentine in my white dress, wedge sandals and long-ish hair after all...
OLD MEN
23/2/2012
Expectation: Sweet old men, walking the streets by themselves in the robust afternoon
Reality: Walking the streets by themselves in the robust afternoon and wind up and kick that damn pigeon. (WHAT!?)
NAVIGATING MY UNIVERSITY'S WEBSITE
28/2/2012 (And every time I try)
Expectation: Be able to find where the COURSE OFFERINGS and SCHEDULES are.
Reality: Being *le me and not being able to maneuver any page on the site correctly.
MEETING ARGENTINES (AND NOT
26/2/2012
Expectation: Say bye politely to Argentine 20-some-year olds that I've never met.
Reality: Kisses all around; we like it.
SHOPPING FOR CLOTHES
18/2/2012
Expectation: For sure a size 36 is going to fit me, I'm a 2 or 26/27: *le me holding it up for size*
Reality: You're not Latina but your ass sure can't fit into a 36: automatically sentenced to size 40+. I couldn't even get the sizing information out of the salesman, except that a 36 is a Small. *Thank you I can see that it's SMALL now HOW do I know what I'll fit into without trying on every SINGLE SHIRT YOU HAVE.
INSTEAD OF A BAR
17/2/2012
Expectation: No drinking of open containers in public places.
Reality: Whatever. Oh, why hello there Federal Police Officer.

AT THE MOVIES
15/2/12
Expectation: Paying and arm and a leg just like in the US.
Reality: Forking over less than $2.00 US (6 Pesos) for a movie.
ON THE BUS
15/2/12
Expectation: ???
Reality: Mothers breast feeding infants - no blanket required.

CHURCH
12/2/12
Expectation: Go to church and know somewhat where you are in the service.
Reality: Probably stand up during the prayer for recent widows. (I still don't know why only some ladies stood up... The only thing I understood was when we said the Our Father, which I mumbled in English, and "La Paz" which is the sign of peace.)
[This occurrence gave me the idea to chronicle my embarrassments, my disappointments, and most importantly my moments of naïvety and culture shock.]
OUT ON THE TOWN
11/2/12
Expectation: Outing with friends at night leads to lovely stroll through the streets (all male friends so assault level: LOW)
Reality: Outing with friends at night in a long green maxi dress leads to dragging the bottom of it over scurrying cockroaches on sidewalk and subsequent gagging.

FLUENCY AND DOMINANCE OF LANGUAGE

9/2/12

Myth: You are fluent in a language when you dream in that language.

Reality: See 12/2/12 (Below)
LIFE IN A CITY
6/2/12
Expectation: Walking with head up on sidewalk admiring the sites.
Reality: Walking with head down on sidewalk to avoid dog poop and cat call acknowledgement.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to all of these! So aptly and comically expressed. I need an entry like this!!

    ReplyDelete