Tango en las calles de la Boca

Tango en las calles de la Boca

23 February 2012

Always Wrong

Have you ever met LoLa? Well she's the biggest wench ever.

Actually I just made her up. And "she" really isn't a "she"... more like a hermaphrodite. LoLa is a "he/she" complex; the pronouns in castellano, if you still were *le me, cross-eyed and confused. Keeping objects masculine and feminine when using them in daily conversation proved to be somewhat of a tripping stone, but I've slowly surmounted that. The main problem now is the malditos adjetivos. Describing ANYTHING is such a "pain in the neck and other parts of anatomy" (as said by Brigadier General Thomas V. Draude, USMC, USNALC, 2012). I can't get anything right. I always masculinize the feminine nouns with male adjectives and vice versa. After about 3 weeks straight of doing this, I've started to catch myself when I trip, so I sound stupid because I pause but I don't at the same time because I properly address my nouns.

There. You know about LoLa. And my incessant ire because of IT (Sorry Dr. Shivers, if you ever read this).

Now let's examine everything else I do incorrectly. Well, I sit in class, I pay attention, I participate, I raise my hand when I know the answer (#HiMom #neildoyou). (At least I raise my hand before I speak, usually I get the answer wrong). Today for example, we read part of this excerpt (aka very little) of El Avión de la Bella Durmiente by Gabriel Garcia Márquez (#elprofe), and had to invent three easily answered questions from each of four paragraphs. The teacher calls on me to choose three and read them. We'll just say in short, that the grammatical structure of 2/3 was incorrect. What the heck. And every time I try to give an explanation for why something is the way it is, they pull the old, "ehh, yeah, but, mmm, close..." trick. No. I'm wrong, Lady. Again.

It's not too motivating to experience, but at the same time it makes you realize how much you actually don't know about formal grammar. Which stinks. I have five more classes and one more week of this intensive course to get it right; then, it's for real.

Already it's wild to see the progress in my language ability, I speak with more fluidity, even if some words are still lost on me.

Other things I have done incorrectly:
-I greeted someone incorrectly today
-I gave the sign of peace incorrectly at church
-I conjugate verbs incorrectly all the time
-I used my fork incorrectly
-I put my napkin on my lap; it stays on the table

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know how my time in the classroom is going; it's like going to a class taught by Mr. and Mrs. Slowsky. Or like the internet connection at the ISA office...

Gotta go book a ticket to Mar del Plata and some hostels for this weekend. Sorry no pictures.

Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment